New home construction and aging power lines have combined forces to encourage the Department of Water and Power toward swift action in local infrastructure improvements. According to DWP spokesperson Andy Sparks, the utility will use the cooler weather and lower power demands to quickly upgrade some underground cabling at Sunset Blvd near Kenter Ave.
The DWP has scheduled the cable replacement and load transfer between November 12, 2015 to November 21, 2015. This work is needed to relieve load from Distribution Station 66. The work will include the replacement of one span of cable from the substructure located in the west bound left hand turn lane on Sunset Blvd to southbound Kenter Ave. In order for their crews to perform this work safely, they will need to reduce the east and west bound lanes to one lane each direction. They will do the majority of work at night to limit the traffic impact. The scheduling of splicing and cable replacement will be scheduled as follows:
- Thursday, November 12, 2015, between 12:00am to 6:00am, start cable splicing at manhole 12192 Sunset Blvd.
- Saturday, November 14, 2015, between 8:00am to 3:30pm, remove and install cable at manhole 12192 Sunset Blvd to pole 377195M located east side of Kenter Ave north of Sunset Blvd
- Tuesday, November 17, 2015, between 12:00am to 6:00am continue cable splicing at manhole 12192 Sunset Blvd
- Wednesday, November 18, 2015, between 12:00am to 6:00am complete cable splicing in manhole 12192 Sunset Blvd.
- Thursday, November 19, 2015, between 9:00am to 3:00pm complete splicing on pole located on Kenter Ave east of Sunset Blvd.